Buying property can be a daunting experience, especially if you are a first time buyer. At Amphlett Lissimore, we always aim to take the stress out of buying your first home by guiding you through the process and explaining what’s going on without any of the legal jargon.
We asked our property lawyers what their top tips for first time buyers would be and here are the most popular answers;
- Investigate government schemes that could help you get onto the property ladder – There are a range of government schemes that are available for eligible first time buyers. These include Lifetime ISAs to help you save for your deposit, shared ownership or equity loans on new build properties, and stamp duty land tax relief to name a few. Please visit the government website to learn more.
- Looking to get a mortgage? Ensure your credit score is good before applying – Getting a mortgage depends on your deposit, salary, debt, and credit score, so it’s important to review your credit score beforehand and make any necessary adjustments. Check out Money Saving Expert’s tips to improve your credit score for some suggestions.
- Get a second opinion on your chosen property – Take a relative or friend with you on a second viewing for another opinion. This is just one of the tips in our Residential Property partner Nigel Matthews’ blog on what to look out for when viewing properties in person – Read Nigel’s property viewing tips here.
- Read through everything! – From the fixtures and fittings, mortgage agreement, to the surveyors report – read everything and if you are unsure about anything then ask. Which leads us onto our next tip…
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions – We are here to help and whilst this is your first conveyancing transaction, we are specialists in the field and are happy to answer any questions and will always endeavour to explain the process and keep you updated along the way.
- Be prepared to wait – Conveyancing transactions can take longer than you think, especially if there is a chain of sales dependent on one another, or a probate property involved. This can be really frustrating (for the lawyers involved as well!), but we will endeavour to keep you up to date and keep the transaction moving from our side as much as possible
Are you looking to buy your first home? We are experts in residential conveyancing and can help you get onto the property ladder. For a free, no obligation conveyancing quote you can phone our office on 020 8185 7458 or use our online quote generator here for an instant quote.