Call Us: 020 8771 5254
Amphlett Lissimore Logo
Family Law

Change of Name

If you decide to change your name, Amphlett Lissimore can help you to do this legally and properly.

Request a Callback

People change their name for a variety of reasons. This may be to change your name to a double-barrelled surname upon marriage or civil partnership, or to return to your maiden name after divorce, or perhaps you wish to permanently live in your acquired gender. What the law thinks of this is simple. A name change is acceptable unless it seeks to defraud or has some criminal benefit. Simply asking others to call you by your new name could work. A deed poll or statutory declaration is more sensible as other parties and authorities accept more readily a legal document, than just your word.

Many people change their name without needing a solicitor. If you are an adult and are a permanent resident in England or Wales, it’s a relatively easy process to complete the paperwork yourself. However, if you have any questions, concerns, or would just prefer to use a solicitor, we are here to help.

Amphlett Lissimore can help you change your name simply and easily. A change of name deed is drawn up by one of our expert lawyers, and the proper procedure is carried out to ensure its legal status. If there are any associated matters to the change of name deed, we can discuss this at the time.

To begin the process of changing your name legally, call us today on 020 8771 5254.

Can I change the name of my child?

Changing the name of your child is slightly more complicated and requires anyone with parental responsibility for that child to consent to the name change. If consent is not given from all parties, then you can instruct a solicitor who can make an application to the court.

About our Family law team

Our family law team are specialists in this area of law and are based across our Crystal PalaceWest Wickham, and Bromley offices, but we are just a phone call away. Call us on 020 8771 5254 for a free initial assessment of your legal matter.

Request a callback

If you would like to discuss our family law services or book an appointment with us, please get in touch, or request a callback.

What our clients say

Family Law Team

Our Services